San Juan Museums
San Juan offers a diverse range of museum where you can spend time learning about the art and culture of this historic city.
San Juan Museum of Art and History
Built in 1855 as a market, and restored in 1979 as a cultural center, it now showcases Puerto Rican art and music, including concerts and festivals.
San Juan Cathedral
Originally built in 1520, and restored in 1917, this is an authentic and rare example of medieval architecture in the New World.
Casa de los Dos Zaguanes (House of the Two Foyers)
This the home to the Museo del Indio (Museum of the Indian) and features exhibits on the indigenous people of the Caribbean region, ceramics and archaeological digs.
Pablo Casals Museum
This is the Spanish master's legacy to the people of Puerto Rico. The museum features manuscripts, memorabilia, photographs and a library of videotapes of Festival Casals concerts. Casals moved to Puerto Rico with his wife in the 1950s. He became the conductor of the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra and the president of the Conservatory of Music in Puerto Rico.
Casa Blanca (White House)
Casa Blanca was built in 1521 and lived in by Ponce de León descendants for over 250 years. In 1779 it was taken over by the Spanish military and was later used by the United States as a residence for military commanders (1898-1966). Today the mansion serves as National Historic Monument, housing a museum of 16th, 17th and 18th century history. Each room is decorated in a style associated with a period of the house's history. Casa Blanca is the oldest continuously occupied residence in the Western Hemisphere.
Cuartel de Ballajá (Ballajá Barracks or Ballajá Quarters)
This building was constructed to house Spanish soldiers and their families in the late 1800s, and could accommodate up to 1,000 people. The construction began in 1854, the main building was completed in 1863, and the chapel was added in 1881. The Cuartel de Ballajá is a three-story square building with large gates on two ends, ample balconies, designed with a series of arches and a protected central courtyard that served as a plaza and covers a reservoir. The Cuartel de Ballajá was the last and largest building constructed by the Spaniards in the New World. Today it houses the Museum of the Americas, featuring changing exhibitions.
This museum, located in an old Dominican Convent that was built in the 16th century, contains a gallery of paintings from Puerto Rican masters such as Jose Campeche y Francisco Oller. There are a number of rooms of paintings and other works of art from Puerto Rican artisans of the 18th–20th centuries.